Wednesday, June 06, 2007

...forgetfullness.


I'm deeply ashamed that it took this post at Hot Air to remind me of D-Day. Working 7 days a week tends to blur the calendar into a never-ending grind; but in the past, I've always made it a point to hoist a pint to everyone of that generation who prevented fascism from dominating the world. Since I was abruptly reminded that my present reality is owed to warriors from the past and present, here goes...

To the dead, wounded and missing of 06 JUN 44: here's a salute and a pint to you. You were warriors.

To the survivors of 06 JUN 44: here's a salute and a pint to you. You were warriors.

To our United Kingdom friends who fought with us and still support us: a salute and a pint to you. You were and still are warriors.

To our Aussie friends who fought with us and still support us: A salute and pint to you. You were and still are warriors.

To our Canadien friends who fought with us and honestly wish your cowardly government had the nads to still do it: a salute and a pint. You were and still are warriors.

To our French friends: well, thanks for a great time in Toulon during a port call that my Grandfather risked his life to provide (pint to him). You were and still are capitulators. A rectal/cranial inversion would help you out immensely. I hope your recent election is the first step towards that emotionally and intellectually painful process.

To our Polish friends who fought with us throughout the war and today revel in freedom enough to lock horns with the communist EU: a salute and a pint to you. You are warriors.

To my Grandpa who fought in North Africa and Italy: here's two salutes and two pints to you. I'm sorry your last heart attack was fatal before I was old enough to intelligently discuss with you the battles you fought in. You were a warrior.

To my other Grandpa who manned the factories back home: here's two salutes and two pints to you. I'm sorry that your stroke incapacitated you long before I could intelligently discuss matters on the home front with you. You were a warrior.

To both Grandmas: Two salutes and two pints apiece for keeping the home fires burning whether your husbands worked grueling hours in factories or were out there at the pointy end of the stick. The sacrificies made by you during national rationing of basic survival supplies is the unsung necessity of total war. You were warriors.

You are not forgotten even if I lapse on the present date. Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Flag Day, 4th of July, D-Day and hell, EVERY DAY are days I give thanks for allowing me to join your ranks and carry the torch of freedom for a brief period of time.

My final salute is to our present day troops of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard. Keep up the fight! We depend upon you. It's an awesome responsibility that you have volunteered for. Never forget that no matter the BS you have to deal with in your duties, the average Joe loves you for doing it. In return, I will try my best as an average Joe to never again forget a signifiant date in our history or a chance to salute you, our warriors, who keep us safe from harm.

Thank you, warriors past and present.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home